Ryan Deiss was one of the keynote speakers at the last Freedom Fast Lane LIVE event. Ryan is the founder and CEO of Digital Marketer. Over the last 36 months Ryan and his team have: Invested over $15,000,000 on marketing tests, generated tens of millions of unique visitors, sent well over a BILLION emails, and run approximately 3,000 split and multi-variant tests. Ryan KNOWS what it takes to reach the people who need what you have to offer and he’s not shy about sharing what he knows. On this episode you’re going to hear the Q&A session from the last FFL event where Ryan shared his responses to questions directed to him about retargeting, marketing, and brand building.
Why relationships matter in new tech like retargeting.
Too many companies are using the new “retargeting” technologies that exist to do the equivalent of SPAM. They simply shoot out ads based on imagined targets and when they get a bite they hammer those people with more ads. Ryan Deiss says that’s the absolute wrong way to use retargeting. On this episode he reveals why it’s so important to use retargeting to put yourself and your helpful content (the free stuff) in front of the exact niche audience you’re looking for.
Retargeting is not just about sales, it’s about building up your persona in front of your niche audience.
Most companies that use retargeting only use it to promote items or services they have for sale. That’s one approach, but a very short sighted one. Ryan Deiss says that you should be using at least 20% of your advertising budget to promote existing content that is free and truly useful to the exact people you want to know about your products. You’re goal in doing that is long-term, building a solid base of raving fans who appreciate what you have to offer, know, like, and trust you, and are more prone therefore to become your ongoing customers. You won’t believe the common sense behind this one so be sure you listen to Ryan’s advice.
Matching retargeting to the original content that brought people in.
Once you’ve used retargeting to offer free and useful content to your ideal audience it’s time to pay attention to the results you get. What are people clicking? That gives you an idea of the type of content your ideal audience finds helpful. When you use retargeting to put yourself in front of them again, you do it with very similar or related content. This is one of the examples of using your head to lead your ideal audience into your system rather than repelling them by blanket ads that go out regardless of what they are interested in. Ryan Deiss has tons of great tips to share in the fairly short session so be sure you listen.
In delivering value to an existing audience you should be learning what works for future audience members and products.
Retargeting pixels are one of the most powerful ways to put content in front of the exact people who have already shown that they are interested in what you have to sell. But you can also use the data you get from your retargeting responses to build new content, courses, services, and products. The response you get from your retargeting shows you exactly what your ideal audience is looking for. Once you know what that is, it’s a no brainer for you to make it for them and then promote it. You’ve met a need that you’ve been able to validate in a substantial way and the sales are naturally going to follow.
Outline Of This Great Episode
- [0:04] Introduction to this private Q&A with Ryan Deiss from the FFL LIVE conference.
- [2:07] The upcoming speaker lineup for FFL LIVE this next year.
- [3:25] Retargeting: why relationships matter in this new strategy.
- [5:56] Why a new form of media doesn’t really replace an older form: in addition to.
- [8:02] How do you build up the following over time to get the following you need?
- [12:04] Why a business needs to diversify their approach to getting new customers.
- [18:14] Why podcasts and videocasts have to be used to get people into your process.
- [19:19] Are pixels impacted by ad blocker plugins? If so, how do I get around it?
- [20:54] Does retargeting work for a business that does one time large purchases?
- [23:05] How to retarget those who have used your “free” course.
- [26:25] Can pixels be used to develop a mission/niche?
- [28:32] The benefits Ryan Daniel Moran has gotten from hanging out with Ryan Deiss.
- [29:40] Why serving your community first is the way to make things move.
- [30:07] The upcoming Freedom Fast Lane LIVE 2016.
Action Steps From This Episode
FOR GREATER SUCCESS: Use your retargeting pixels to promote your existing free content. Doing so will put you front of mind with your ideal target audience. You can’t underestimate the power of doing that.
FOR GETTING STARTED: GET your retargeting pixels from Facebook and Google. Do it now. The links are provided for you below so you have no excuse. You can begin to see their power almost immediately so don’t hesitate to get it done.
Connect With Today’s guest: Ryan Deiss
Resources Mentioned On This Episode
Connect With Freedom Fast Lane
On Google Plus