In this week’s episode of Freedom Fast Lane Ryan Daniel Moran interviews Travis Sago, Ryan’s go-to man for advice. In his twenties Travis smoked two packs a day, was divorced and so far in debt he considered bankruptcy. He noticed he was playing life by the wrong rules and made a decision to radically change. In this episode, Travis talks about how he has achieved so much, enjoyed the process and remained content while still being a driver and moving forward.
Main Questions Asked
- Share the story of your book Love Yourself
- How do you do it? What’s the secret to life?
- If happiness is inside of us does that mean wanting things is bad?
- If I understand the problem then what do I do about it?
- Talk about the person who says ‘you don’t know what I’ve been through’?
- When you have a problem and its all you can think about what do you say to that person?
Key Lessons Learned
- The ‘rules’ are what we set up in our own lives
- If we are struggling with something then our personal ‘rules’ may be a little ‘off’
- There are two major hoaxes in life
‘Baby’ Hoax 1) Happiness is somewhere out there
- By ‘out there’ we mean in our next promotion, amount of money, soul mate etc.
- We believe until we have those things we can’t have happiness
- Many people get what they want but then realize they are still not happy
- Hard chargers – go out and actively seek what they want and get angry when things don’t go their way
- Some people think – I’m never going to be happy because I can’t get x then stop trying and get depressed
Answer to Hoax 1: Happiness is already inside of us
- Security and happiness are just feelings as is fear
- Our natural default setting as humans is peace
‘Big Momma’ Hoax 2) We should take our thoughts and thinking seriously
- Thoughts are just thoughts and often inaccurate
- Events are simply events – it’s your thinking around events that make the difference
- Thoughts are not our intelligence (that comes from a different place)
- 100% of what we feel comes from our thoughts
- When we feel we have a hole inside we can’t fill, then you can’t have a satisfying relationship
- There is nothing you can’t turn into ‘heroin’ e.g. jogging, meditation etc.
- The ‘rumble strip’ of life is when you are veering off the path
Three Action Steps: See it, experience it, shift it
1) See It – the predicament we are in
- The principles change everything not the application
2) Experience It – when we have stressful feelings we are taking thoughts too seriously
- Ask yourself – “what could be the reverse of this being true?”
- Start to notice small things
- By practicing and being aware of our thoughts, we get used to the idea of realizing which thoughts we are taking too seriously and affecting us emotionally
- Once we are aware of this we know this is just a thought
3) Shift It – You don’t have to listen to the voice in your mind and you are free to create what you want
- Typically we are only afraid of two things 1) not getting what we want 2) losing what we have
- If we don’t take our fearful thoughts so seriously it makes room for creativity
- The only thing that makes something a problem is our serious thoughts about it
- You are not the thoughts in your head
Reverse implication of the Hoax 1 – Happiness can be taken away and we need to defend it in order to keep it
On your iPhone? Listen on iTunes here.
Links to Resources Mentioned
Click to Tweet!
Ryan Daniel Moran
Ryan Daniel Moran is one of the most sought after speakers and thought leaders on lifestyle freedom in the world. He specializes in creating extremely profitable cash flow streams and businesses without compromising your lifestyle. Ryan is passionate about inspiring, educating, and empowering people to live extraordinary lives, and he believes that anyone can live the life of their dreams as long as they take responsibility for their results and take consistent action toward getting what they want. When Ryan isn’t inspiring his listeners and readers, you’ll find him at an improv show, a Cleveland Indians game, or traveling the world.